Are you selling hot dogs or some other food for a fund raiser?

Are you serving food to the public?


... You may be required to have a license first.  Any event which provides food to the general public (whether it be "for sale" or "free") is required by law to have a Temporary Food License.  

The 2000 Michigan Food Law, Section 4103.(1), requires that all temporary food events be licensed through the local health department. Applications for temporary food licenses must be received by the Marquette County Health Department thirty (30) days prior to holding a temporary food event. All temporary food licenses cost $50.00 plus applicable State surcharges. Any license application received less than 30 days prior to the event will be charged an additional $25.00 penalty. These fees are in accordance with the newly approved fee schedule adopted by the Marquette County Board of Commissioners at their regular meeting on 9/10/2002.  If the temporary food service operation, is not preparing food, is using only single service articles and utensils, and is only serving non-potentially hazardous foods, a license would not be required.

As a part of the licensing process, an on-site inspection will be conducted by personnel from the Division of Environmental Health. The purpose of the on-site inspection is to ensure safe food handling practices and good hygiene are being used.

To download a printable PDF version containing fee information, Marquette County Health Department application information, Michigan Department of Agriculture application form, and the Michigan Department of Agriculture Temporary Food Establishment Operations Checklist, please Click Here.

You must have Adobe Acrobat Reader installed on your computer to view and print the information in this packet.  If you do not already have it installed, you can obtain it free from Adobe's website,

Applications and information relating to the licensing and inspection of temporary food events are also available from the Marquette County Health Department - Division of Environmental Health.  To find out if your event needs a license, please call us at 906-475-4195.

For more information about food safety, visit theMichigan Department of Agriculture's Food Safety Website.

Marquette County Health Department
Environmental Health Division
184 US 41 East
Negaunee, Michigan  49866
(906) 475-4195 (phone)
(906) 475-6500 (fax)

Last UPdate:  18 March, 2009