Filing for Pension with Aid and Attendance

Many veterans and their surviving spouses come to need assistance as they age. We at Marquette County Veterans Affairs can help veterans and their families apply for Non-service connected pensions, Surviving spouse Pensions, and benefits for Aid and Attendance.


  • Non-Service Connected Pension
  • Surviving Spouse Pension
  • Aid and Attendance Additional Special Monthly Pension for nursing home, skilled nursing, or in-home care
  • Dependency and Indemnity Compensation

Checklist of what you need when filing for benefits:

Income Records

Social Security Benefit Statement
  • Veteran
  • Spouse
Bank Statements
  • Account Balance
  • Interest Earned
Investment Statements
  • Account Balance 
  • Interest Earned
  • Expense Records
Social Security Benefit Statement showing Medicare Part A, B, D, C deductions
Supplemental Insurance Bills
Pharmacy Printouts
Individual Provider Statements
  • Physician
  • Eye Doctor
  • Dentist
  • Other Provider
  • Care Expense Statement from Nursing Home

Pension for veterans, surviving spouses of deceased veterans

3 Basic Criteria:

  • War era service
  • Disabled
  • Income and assets are not excessive


Effective September 17, 2001, the VA presumes permanent and total disability if a veteran is:

A patient in a nursing home for long-term care due to disability, or
Receives Social Security Disability benefits, or
Is age 65 or older when VA application is received.

Documents Needed

 DD214 – original or certified copy
  • Marriage License
  • Death Certificate